Image Map

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Our Trip To Haiti: Part 1

 Our less than 24 hour trip to Haiti was quite eventful and humorous, to say the least. Let's break this down a little for ya.

  • Paperwork Goof: We were making a trip to the Embassy to sign a paper for his Visa.  We also planned to deliver a set of signed papers that they would need later on (hopefully soon) and it would save mailing them to Haiti. This would save postage and waiting on the mail, etc. I noticed the night before that one of the papers had to be notarized. I cannot tell you how many papers I've looked over, notarized, and rechecked over the past year and a half. However, this ONE time, I noticed it when we couldn't get a notary (like the night before we left). BUT we found a solution! The Miami airport has a notary WAY down next to baggage claim. Mostly an extra exercise for me during our short layover in Miami but regardless, awesome. First hurdle jumped...To be continued...
  • Pants: Since we were only going to be there overnight, because I usually over pack, & I didn't want to pack around more possessions for 24hrs than a lot of people even own...I decided to take a change of shirts & wear the same pants (jeans) for both days. How bad could jeans get just sitting on an airplane? Well, that would have been somewhat of a great plan until I looked down on our first flight and realized I had a hole in the crotch of my pants. Fantastic. Thus, began my prayer to"please please please not let my pants split anymore & allow me to make it back to the states before I flashed anyone." Hurdle #2...To be continued also...
  • Urgent Landing: We were flying from Lville-Miami-Haiti. About halfway through the first leg of the trip, the pilot comes over the intercom on the plane and announces that we will be making a landing in Tallahassee.  One (of the two) hydraulics systems went out on our plane and though there was a backup, it wasn't suggested to fly with only one (b/c there would no longer be a backup) thus the need for an emergency landing (that we didn't know was an emergency at the time).  We had lots of time in between our connecting flights, no big deal, right?  Wrong. As we began to have view of the runway, we noticed it was surrounded by firetrucks and firemen in what looked like astronaut suits (the silver flame resistant suits) greeting us. Obviously, this was a little more serious than we thought.  We soon were informed that the alarm for the hydraulic system could mean something as minor as a fuse that needed repairing or that the wheels/landing gear wouldn't work properly. Awesome. I think that perhaps this could be a little more specific on planes, but that's just me. Detailed Ashley couldn't handle being a pilot, I need specifics people!! Obviously the landing gear and wheels worked or this story would have taken a different turn at this point. But hey, we're alive and no one had to put their fun aluminum foil spacesuit to use.                            

  • Tallahassee Airport: Evidently our arrival was the most excitement the Tallahassee airport had the whole day, possibly the week (or more).  While some very irate passengers immediately got in line to schedule flights so they could make sure they arrived at their luxury vacation destination sight, we just sat back and relaxed for a few.  During this time, a few interesting things happened. You see, the one lady that looked like she worked there came over the intercom with a message similar to, "Welcome Flight #6758 flying from ____ to Miami. Unfortunately, you have landed in a little podunk (yes she really said this...on the job...over the intercom) airport here in Tallahassee (obviously she doesn't know who we are) and we weren't prepared for your stop. Please give us just a few minutes and we will start working on flights out of here to take you where you'd actually like to visit." I don't know about you, but I've used "podunk" a lot in my life & I've never used it to refer to a city with a population of over 500k in it's city limits (& the 128th biggest city in the U.S.) as a podunk town. I'm not sure if I was more surprised that she, while at work, on the job, actually used such professionalism insert sarcasm or at the fact that she thought she lived in a podunk town.

    During this time, I am noticing that the gentleman who had been one of the Ground Traffic Controllers (wearing the safety vest, ear covers, & directing the plane with wands) was now the guy at the desk booking our flights out of there. I felt like I was on an episode of Wings
    . One employee=quite a few job descriptions.


    After this lovely gentleman booked us on a flight that would get us to our connecting flight from Miami-Haiti in time, I went in search of none other than...superglue. Yes, I thought I could keep the split in my pants (hurdle #2) from getting any worse if I super glued the edges of the rip. The podunk airport wasn't helpful except they had one place with food for lunch. :) Fast forward through all of this craziness to the next hiccup in our trip. Hurdle #3 complete.
  • Welcome to Miami: A greeting right outta the gate with a Bicardi Mojito bar meant we weren't in Kansas, errrrr Tallahassee anymore folks. (No, I didn't stop to visit but maybe I should have.)And we definitely had arrived beyond Podunk-ville. Thankfully, we arrived in plenty of time to catch our connecting flight with a little time to spare (it was slightly delayed, thank you Lord...making it a whole 45 minutes layover). However, we didn't have enough time (or were afraid we wouldn't make it) to go to baggage claim for the notary we needed for the papers. (Hurdle #1) Thankfully, the agency was just glad we made it in time to connect and assured us we could drop them in the mail the next week, no problem. Shew. Back to the tasks at hand... Superglue. Low & behold Miami airport had some at one of their 1000+ shops at the airport.  After thinking about this, I couldn't figure out why we could buy and transport Superglue on the airplane, but I guess it's safe??? Anyways, mission accomplished. If you haven't already noticed how the Lord has had His hand in making sure to get us where we needed to go, then hold onto your britches darlin', He is about to blow your mind!We are now at the gate about to board our flight to Haiti when our tickets won't scan. Seriously y'all, I can't make this stuff up. You remember that fun little "Lloyd" from our pretend show "Wings" we just lived out earlier in the day? Yeah, though he totally meant well, he cancelled (accidentally) our connecting flights to Haiti and they had already filled our seats. Just FYI: There are zero flights remaining to Haiti this day & we have to be there at 7:30am the following day. Monday's flight wouldn't leave out until after 9am. Insert Ashley starting to panic & trying to withhold her country redneck side on somebody. (After the day we already had, I should have known it would work out but I admit, I had my doubts) According to the little desk lady, there was one seat available. Quickly in my head, I thought "Hubby can't go, I'm the one that's dealt with all of the paperwork,etc. and I don't have time to give him an Adoption Paperwork/Haiti Trip Details 101 at the terminal." My second thought was "I could go...alone...yikes!"

    During this time, the airline lady made an announcement over the intercom (when she realized it was their fault our tickets were cancelled) that they were offering an $800 travel voucher & overnight hotel stay to anyone willing to give up their ticket? Whoa, what?!?! I'll
     give up my seat! Wait...I don't have one, I need one. Oh yeah. By now, know that we are only about the last half dozen folks in line and this beautiful Haitian girl comes up for her to translate what she had announced. Upon hearing the offer, she quickly said "Oh, I wait. I wait." Trying to hold back the tears, I tried to thank her though she didn't understand me.  Whew...on the flight to Haiti we go...Praise the Lord!! Seriously, I'm worn out from just reliving this as I type.  But how awesome is God? A lady that didn't even speak the language just happened to ask them to translate & she accepted the voucher & gave up her seat. We.can.now.both.go.to.Haiti. Hallelujah! Hurdle #4:Jumped.
  • In-Flight: Scott & I were originally supposed to sit together in the Emergency Seats (lucky us) however since we barely got on the flight, we sat apart on the way to Haiti. This landed me in between two gentleman from Global Compassion Ministries out of Missouri. After talking with one of the gentleman in particular (shout out to Alan H.), I found out that a guy from their mission team just got sick at the Miami Airport and decided not to go on the trip. Seriously. (His suddenly available seat=the other one seat for the flight that had been open for us. )He had been sick for a few weeks, felt better, and decided to try the trip to Haiti. He got sick again right.before.the.flight and had to bail. Had he not decided to play it safe and return home, I wouldn't have made it to Haiti. Hello, can I get a Hallelujah!? I told them our story and we were all just blown away at the timing of the Lord. I asked him to tell his friend that he obviously wasn't meant to be in Haiti and either didn't listen the first time or the Lord just needed to make room.=) Either way the Lord worked it out through people serving Him and hearing His prompts to get me on that flight. I could have burst out into worship right there. Bless you Global Compassion and Thank You Lord. Just speechless about the whole situation and the entire day in itself.  Hopefully we will keep in touch. Whew. Taking a deep breath. Y'all, the Lord can blow your mind if you realize His hand is in everything. They made sure we made it through Customs okay and waved us on our way. So thankful for encounters from God.  

  • (pics from airplane window...2nd pic shows one of the many tent cities still there)
  • Arriving in Haiti: I'm not sure I can fully put into words what I was thinking from the moment I left the doors of the airport until now. I'm still processing it all. I'm still trying to take what tiny bit of Haiti that I witnessed and pour over it and learn from it.  Exiting the airport was a wild mess. There were a few hints of smiles ahead while we were there, but to be quite honest, most of the jokes of the trip thus far, stopped at the doors of the airport. This is about to get real, y'all. My view of the world, the Lord's people, my selfishness & arrogance, etc is all about to brought into the light.  People were everywhere, shouting, and honestly I have no idea what they were doing or who they were waiting to see.  We stood outside of the chaos and looked around for anyone looking for us.  A clean cut, gentleman finally came to us with a sign that had our name on it and I recognized him from pictures so we decided to follow him! Ha! We weaved in and out of people staring and started on our journey to our overnight lodging. The laws of the road are much different in Haiti. It's every person for themselves. Driving or riding in a manual vehicle is quite the experience when you don't get over 10mph!  It had also recently rained thus making small ponds in their roads. As we were riding down the side streets, one large "puddle" of water we took on the right side, the next one on the left. It was a maze and quite a journey (very bumpy) to arrive where we needed to stay. At one traffic stop during the trip, a kid came to clean our windshield & windows for money. (a common thing in Haiti) When our driver and "guide" told him "No" (& whatever else they were saying) it didn't bother the boy. Seeing that they had Americans in the vehicle, he knocked on my window and peered into me with the saddest face he could make. Part of it was an act, but his eyes were not. The hubby grabbed my hand as I looked away, fought back tears, and we drove off. He knew that ripped my compassionate, broken hearted soul apart. After finally arriving at our location, an "armed guard" opened the gate to the hotel for us after a LOT of horn honking on "our" end.  We were thankful for staying in a clean and secure place until morning.  However, the highlight of the night may or may not have been a Coca-Cola! Ah, thank ya Jesus!! I've never tasted a better one! Overnight was quite uneventful as we got a good night's sleep...with air-conditioning (a treat in Haiti).  January=still "summer" in Haiti.

    There were a few funny, but minor things from our stay overnight. You know it couldn't go too smooth with the day we already had! But seriously, after I left that airport, all funny pretty much went out the window. But here are a few...First, we had a window in the shower. Yes, a window in the shower folks!! We were on the ground floor, that looked out onto the patio/common gathering area. Annnnnnd we have a window in our shower. I'm sure this serves a practical purpose in Haiti, I just wasn't anticipating it nor did I need it for my shower! Sooooooo, the Hubs got to stand
    in the window while I showered so our trip to Haiti didn't turn into a peep show. (And yes he had to face outside to make sure someone wasn't peeping...b/c I'm paranoid I know) True story. Prob TMI (too much info) but I'm being real with y'all here, so cut me some slack! =) And I'm well aware I sound like a "yuppie" & that day, I'll admit I probably was.

    If I could have taken the picture the other direction, you could have seen all of the outside, including the gentlemen on their laptops by the pool. Crazy. (Only a First World Problem, right?) Second, we did finally get to order supper. It took F.O.R.E.V.E.R. (like 2hrs ha) which I hear is a common time frame in Haiti.  =) Third, it was finally time to try and rest with this little guy above my head. Fortunately he didn't move and neither did I. I prayed & convinced myself not to be creeped out. He's more freaked out by me than I am of him, right? Right. Breathe. Anyways, I finally fell asleep after this crazy long day and didn't wake up with him on or near me!! Hurdles #Ilostcount


    Ohhhhhh, and you better believe I super glued the tear in my pants & let it dry overnight...(And you can bet my Mama didn't know about ALL
    of this until we were safely back in the states. =))

  • Day 1 summed up in one word: Ridiculousness
Part 2 will tell about our trip to the Embassy and getting back to the states...

*Feel free to comment on any and all posts. =)

No comments: